Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fertility Friendly Diet


So as promised, here is a post about a fertility-friendly diet, (although it is pretty late!)  As well as some products and resources to check out!

A fertility friendly diet serves the purpose of making sure that from pre-conception through pregnancy, you body is receiving the most nutrients possible. It helps to encourage ovulation and May even lower your risk for miscarriage or birth defects. But regardless if you are trying to conceive, pregnant, or waiting until the right time to start a family, a fertility friendly diet can help you be the healthiest you.


I’m not a nutritionist so whatever I say should always be checked with your doctor. However I feel that this type of eating   will create the healthiest you and that can only mean good things in the way of fertility and baby making.

Main guidelines when deciding what to eat:

·      GO ORGANIC!!! With everything, you should be buying organic. Hormones in meat and dairy can through off your natural hormone balance. Pesticides can wreak havoc on both male and female fertility. Not to mention what side effects exposure to them can cause.
·      Fatty acids are good! They can help regulate your menstrual cycle and fish is a great lean protein.
·      Grains should be consumed in their whole form. This prevents sugar spikes in your system (very important if you are suffering from PCOS).
·      NO SOY!!! This is a tricky one for me when I’m vegan. I use tofu as a staple and have had to totally limit myself. I also switched from soymilk to almond milk and I honestly prefer it!
·      No refined sugar or juice unless fresh squeezed.

I’ve attached an article that explains all of these in greater detail.

A super important part of getting ready for pregnancy is to take a pre-natal vitamin. My Doctor told me it should be taken up to three months prior to trying to conceive. I am not very consistent with them but overall; I have been taking pre-natal vitamins for over three years.



My favorite brand is Prenatal One from Rainbow- light. I was able to find them at Earth Fare and Whole Foods. I like this brand because they are an all natural and vegan vitamin. They were also created with a pregnant stomach in mind (or like me, a sensitive one) they are formulated to be gentle on the stomach. I have tried many different vitamins that have made me nauseous; this is the only one where I don’t notice any negative side affects.

Other prenatal vitamin requirements are to have at least 1000mg of Folic Acid. The last prenatal I was on had less than that and after talking to my doctor I switched.

Well that’s all for this post! Thanks for being patient with it, and comment with any questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment